Sculpture Studio Manager | Senior Faculty, Sculpture | Curator, Contemporary Sculpture GardenEmail
David has been an active member of the Central Florida art community for more than 41 years. In addition to shows in galleries in the United States and Europe, David participated in creating art for public places since 1980. He was the first artist to receive a commission from the Orlando Percentage for the Arts Program when it was first established in 1984. He has created annual national sports awards for football and basketball, and recently created a linebacker award for the NFL. Cumbie’s work was sent to Tokyo, Japan, where his sculptures were used to represent America in the Interflora World Cup 1989. In Germany, he participated in the international sculpture exhibition call the Sculpture Mile. He has participated in four cultural exchange programs; traveling art exhibitions in Italy from 1999–2002; recently has been creating mosaic projects in Mexico at the Community Art Center in Cobá, as well as the American Consulate in Merida; and is presently designing a mosaic for Mexico City. Since 1996, David has been in charge of creating and curating the Crealdé School of Art Sculpture Garden, which has over 60 outdoor sculptures that represent artwork created in Central Florida.
“My favorite material has always been clay. I like the plastic feeling in my hands, and the speed it allows me to create. When I sculpt a form that is special to me, I made a mold and create a wax for bronze casting. Sometimes I use concrete for outdoor works and add metal elements of bronze, aluminum and stainless steel into my composition, creating a multimedia piece. I like the adventure of recreating myself with each new work, pushing the edge of what I did on the last sculpture. I have always felt fortunate being a part of such a great tradition.”
- 2012, recipient of the Lee Lasbury Memorial Award for the entry of a Heart, cold cast bronze
24×24 inches in the 62nd annual Symposium and Exhibition at the Ringling College
of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida.
- 2009, Received a purchase award in the outdoor exhibition in Fort Pierce, Florida for a work titled
Totem 5. (15 x2xt%feetl. This work is now exhibited in the new Court of County Clerks.
- 2005, Artists Grant from United Arts of Central Florida.
- 2004, Award of Distinction, Florida Biennial Exhibition, Museum of Art, DeLand, Florida
- 2001, Change lncorporated, individual grant sponsored by the Robert Rauschenberg Foundation.
- 1999, Purchase Award, Small Works Exhibition, Valencia Community College, Orlando, Florida.
- 1986, Grand Prize Trophy Award, Central Florida Film and Video Festival.
- 1985, Winning Design for billboard. Big Arts Contest, Atlanta Arts Festival.
- 1984, Winning Design for Artist Billboard Contest; United Arts of Central Florida.
- 2021, Dunedin Fine Art Center, 71st Annual FLAG Symosium and Exhibition: Polychromed Clay Bust of Nelson Mandela
- 2021, Hindsight 2020 Orlando City Arts Exhibition: Reflecting on the events of the past year
- 2021, Florida Sculpture Guild exhibit, “Revision”, in the Casselberry Sculpture House
- 2021, CityArts Gallery, FLAG members exhibit, Orlando, FL
- 2020, Foosner Art Museum: Florida Invitational Exhibition
- 2020, City Arts Exhibition in conjunction with Orlando Science Center: Pompeii Reimagined Exhibition. Best of Show with a bust of Mercury
- 2020, Director’s Choice VIII, Crealdé School of Art, Winter Park, FL
- 2019, Ringling College of Art and Design: Group Exhibition of Florida Artists
- 2019, Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden: Tongue in Cheek – an exhibition of humorous art
- 2019, Showalter Hughes Community Gallery at Crealdé School of Art: It’s Only Human, The Figure in Art
- 2019, Naples Art Association Gallery: Florida Artists Group in Naples
- 2018, College of Central Florida, The Weber Gallery: Group Invitational Exhibition
- 2018, Ormond Beach Memorial Museum: Influence of Sound
- 2017, Coral Springs Museum of Art: Invitational group show
- 2017, Lake Concord Sculpture Garden: Casselberry Sculpture Walk, Invitational Public Art Exhibition
- 2017, Color and Form, group exhibition, Harris House, Atlantic Center for the Arts, New Smyrna Beach, Florida
- 2017, Florida Artists Group 67th Annual Exhibition and Symposium, Coral Springs, Florida
- 2017, Art in the Chambers: The Art Faculty of Valencia College, group exhibition, Orange County Administration Center, Orlando Florida
- 2016, Florida Artists Group 66th Annual Exhibition and Symposium, group exhibition, Center for the Arts of Bonita Springs, Bonita Springs, Florida
- 2016, Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden: Sight Unseen: A touchable exhibition for the visually impaired
- 2016, Florida Sculptors Guild Presents La Creatura, group exhibition, Crealdé School of Art, Winter Park, Florida
- 2015, From Start to Finish: The Florida Sculptors Guild Exhibition, group exhibition, Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens, Winter Park, Florida
- 2015, Selected Fine Arts Faculty Exhibition, group exhibition, Anita S. Wooten Gallery, Valencia College, Orlando, Florida
- 2015, Florida Artists Group 65th Annual Symposium Highlights, The Leepa-Rattner Museum, Tarpon Springs, Florida
- 2014, Elizabeth Morse Genius Foundation Award for guitar sculpture “Angel,” Florida Artists Group 64th Annual Exhibition and Symposium, St. Augustine, Florida
- 2013, The Lemoyne Center for the Arts: FLAG Symposium
- 2013, Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden: From Start to Finish, and educational exhibition on how sculptures are made from beginning to end
- 2013, Kissimmee Florida Sculpture Experience in historic downtown Main Street: Exhibit of Totem–Closer to Nature
- 2012, Florida Artists Group 64th Annual Symposium Highlights, Selby Gallery, Ringling School of Art and Design, Sarasota, Florida
- 2012, Orlando City Hall Terrace Gallery sponsored by The City of Orlando Public Art Program: FLAG, the Florida Artists Group, Area V Exhibition, featuring members that reside in the following counties: Orange, Seminole, Brevard, Indian River, Lake, Polk, and Volusia, as well as state board members
- 2012, Ringling College of Art and Design in Sarasota, FL: FLAG’s 61st Annual Symposium and Exhibition. Awarded the Lee Asbury Award
- 2012, Avalon Island Gallery Downtown Orlando, Florida: Florida Sculpture Guild Exhibition
- 2011, Winter Park Historical Museum – The Way We Were: Exhibition portraying Winter Park in the 60s and 70s
- 2011, Grand Opening of the Firehouse Sculpture Center: Exhibition by the Florida Sculpture Guild, Curator and Exhibitor
- 2011, American Consulate in Merida, Mexico: Mosaic design and installation as part of a cultural exchange program between Florida and the Yucatan Peninsula
- 2011, Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden: Figure and Form Exhibition Showcase of Florida Sculptors. Exhibited portrait bust of Hilary Wheeler Smith
- 2010, Museum of Florida Art and the City of Deland: Deland Sculpture Walk. Outdoor show of monumental sculptures
- 2010, Cultural Art Center of Cobá, Mexico: Mosaic as part of a cultural exchange between Florida and the Yucatan Peninsula
- 2009, Mennello Museum of American Art, Orlando, Florida: Heroes and Hellions Exhibition and Auction
- 2009, Kissimmee Sculpture Walk: Exhibition of outdoor sculptures. Exhibited – Totem – Changes in Time Solar Rays
- 2008, Fort Pierce and Port St. Lucie, Florida:Art Without Walls Exhibition of 33 artists display large outdoor sculptures. Purchase Award for Totem – Changing with Time, now on permanent display at the new Court of the County Clerks.
- 2007, Ormond Memorial Art Museum and Gardens, Ormond Beach, Florida: Sculpture-Art in Three Dimensions, exhibited three Bronze Peace symbols.
- 2007, Alliance for the Arts in Fort Myers, Florida: Exhibition Heads, Hearts, Horses and Helmets.
- 2007, Alice and William Jenkins Gallery at Creald6 School of Art in Winter Park, Florida: Exhibition The Maquette-ldeas and Process – curator and exhibitor of small sculpture models
and drawing by twenty Florida sculptors.
- 2006, EPCOT Sculpture Garden Exhibition at the lnternational Flower and Garden Show, Orlando,
Florida: Exhibited Totem – Changes in Time Solar Rays.
- 2006, Mobile Museum of Art, Mobile, Alabama: Southeastern Juried Exhibition. Time for War or
Peace Art that confronts the realities of the Present. Exhibited Bronze Peace Symbol.
- 2006, lsland of Crete, Greece, Neoria Public Exhibition Center: 4th lnternational Exhibition Chania.
Exhibited Bronze Peace Symbol.
- 2005, Deland Museum of Art, Deland Florida: Florida Biennial Exhibition. Exhibited Bronze Heart
- 2005, Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden, Winter Park, Florida: Things That Whirl and
Twirl Kinetic Sculpture Exhibition. Exhibited kinetic sculpture titled Playground.
- 2005, Orlando City Hall, Orlando, Florida in the Mayor’s Gallery and Terrace: Dynamic Relationships,
An exhibition of mentors and students. Exhibited with student Lynn Tomlinson.
- 2005, Alice and William Jenkins Gallery at Crealdé School of Art in Winter Park, Florida: Crealdé’s
30th Anniversary Exhibition – Past and Present Department Directors.
- 2004, Universal Centiplex in Orlando, Florida: Global Peace Film Festival and Art Exhibition.
Exhibited Bronze Peace Symbol.
- 2004, EPCOT Sculpture Garden Exhibition as part of the lnternational Flower and Garden Show,
Orlando, Florida: Exhibited seven foot face mask called Nature Boy.
- 2004, Deland Museum of Art, Deland, Florida: Florida Biennial Exhibition Award Winner.
- 2003, Orlando Museum of Art, Orlando, Florida: Artists at Work exhibition combines with tours
of exhibiting artist’s studios.
- 2002, The Gallery Post Art in Milan, ltaly. Part of a cultural exchange program with D’ARS Studios:
Orlando Furioso Exhibition
- 2001, Skulpturepark, Menschen/Assichten, Stienhagen, Germany: lnternational public
- 2000, D’SARS Studios, Milan, ltaly: Exhibition – The First Generation- Central Florida Sculpture
sponsored by D’ARS foundation.
- 2000, Galleria Blanchaert, Museum and Gallery in Milan, ltaly: Exhibited twelve bronze sculpture
in a two person show with Dean Warren.
- 1999, Leonardo da Vinci National Museum of Science and Technology in Milan, ltaly: Exhibition –
Homage to Jacques Cousteau.
- 1998, Atlantic Center for the Arts at Harris House, New Smyrna Beach, Florida: Exhibition:
- 1997, Alice and William Jenkins Gallery at Crealde School of Art, Winter Park, Florida:
Creald6 Faculty Exhibition.
- 1996, Arts Malltemporary Contemporary Galley in Winter Park, Florida: Exhibition of Central
Florida Sculptors. Curator of the Mall Exhibitions and Gallery shows for two and a
- 1995, Valencia Community College, Orlando, Florida: Small Works Exhibition. Received a purchase
award for the permanent collection.
- 1994, Orlando Museum of Art, Orlando, Florida: Cutting Edge.
- 1993, Valencia Community College, Orlando, Florida: Small Work Exhibition.
- 1992, University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia: Centrifugal Force Exhibition by the Florida Sculpture
Guild. Participant and curator of the exhibition.
- 1991, Valencia Community College, Orlando, Florida: Small Works Exhibition.
- 1988, Alice and William Jenkins Gallery and Sculpture Garden at Creald6 School of Art, Winter
Park, Florida: ldea Art – ConceptualArt Exhibition. Participated ass the curator in conjunction
with Professor Johann Eyfelis from UCF and the show started in 1980 as an annual
event until 1988.
- 1986, Orlando Museum of An in Orlando, Florida: Juried Exhibition.
- 1986, Piedmont Park, New Smyrna Beach, Florida: New Figures in American Art-Bath House
Exhibition. Part of the Atlantic Arts Festival. I exhibited my ceramic sculpture and
installation of Jackson Pollock creating a painting.
- 1985, Orlando Museum of Art, Orlando, Florida: Juried Exhibition
Metropolitan Museum, Miami, Florida: Expressions – Juried Exhibition. I exhibited my
Ceramic statue of Vincent Van Gogh painting on a canvas.
- 1984, New Works, solo exhibit at Creald6 School of Art, Winter Park, Florida.
- 1984, Orlando Museum of Art, Orlando, Florida: Juried Exhibition.
- 1983, Valencia Community College, Orlando, Florida: ln Sigh on Site – outdoor sculpture exhibition
Curated by Judith Page. Exhibition for six months.
- 1982, Seminole Community College, Sanford, Florida: Ecology – Group Exhibition.
- 1981, Maitland Art Center, Maitland, Florida: Documents – Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition.
- 1980, Stetson University, Deland, Florida: Creald6 Faculty Exhibition.
- 2016, Designed the Paul Newman Circle of Friends Award for The Boggy Creek Campground Organization.
- 2013, Life-size statue of St. Francis of Assisi for St. Richard’s Episcopal Church.
in Winter Park, Florida.
- 2012, Commissioned to create the annual awards for The Golden Rule Foundation from 2006 until present.
- 2012, Created a wall sculpture for the Ronald McDonald House sponsored by Florida Automotive Association
- 2012, Created awards for the United Arts of Central Florida and Fifth Annual Arts Plus Awards, Orlando.
- 2011, Created the Bust of Sir Francis Drake for the entry of Drake’s Historical Home in Columbia, South
America. One bust goes over the arch way at the front door entry and another in the foyer.
- 2008, Commissioned to create 3 nationaltrophies for footballthrough the Dick Butkus Foundation:
Annual awards for the NFL, the NCAA and the National High School Award.
- 2008, Created 12 awards for the 23’d National Philanthropy Day award ceremony.
- 2001, Monument Builders, Co-creator of outreach program for at-risk children. Crealdé was awarded
a $20,000 program grant by the Orlando Magic Youth Foundation. Created four outdoor
sculptures with children from underserved communities.
- 1999, Homage to Jacques Cousteau, the Leonardo da Vinci National Museum of Science and Technology, Milan, Italy
- 1986, Sculpted the Pete Maravich Award trophy for the Nat’l Collegiate Athletic Basketball Association
for the All Star game.
- 1986, lnterflora World Cup, Tokyo, japan. Sculptural Props Designer, Placed 4th in the world as
a US representative.
- 1985, Art and Artists, a Video Documentary of Central Florida Artists, Small Projects Grant funded
by United Arts.
- 1984, The Holy Family, figures of Joseph, Mary and child Jesus, life-size, for the Church of
Annunciation in Altamonte Springs, Florida
- 1984, Ceremonial Graduation Mace, University of Central Florida, Orlando.
- 1984, Bronze bust of L.C. Jones, commission by City of Orlando for the Callahan Center, sponsored by Percentage for the Arts Program
- 1980, Bronze Bust of the civic leader, Ruby Ball for the Ruby Ball Annex in Winter Park, Florida